So here’s the next steps with the tomato, basil and zinnia photo you saw in my last post. Using just a portion of the image, I traced it to a Wash Away Applique sheet , fused tht sheet to muslin backed with batting, and stitched thru the sheet, muslin and batting with brown thread. Then I washed the piece and the applique sheet dissolved away!
The first photo shows before and after washing. As I mentioned, the sheet washed away, however, the glue from the fusing was a bit stubborn and had to be brushed off. Next time I’m going to try warmer water, which may help.
Next I colored the image with fabric crayons, then ironed with a press cloth to brighten the colors. Now I plan to do some embroidery and embellishment.
I’ve made an enlarged version of the one zinnia image – may do a fabric collage, or maybe some printing. Hmmmm..
On another project, I made a small book from an empty wooden thread spool! I think I saw this in Cloth Paper Scissors, but I can’t find the issue to reference. The one in the photo is made from paper – mulberry paper as the carrier sheet, paper towel as the insert, and an old envelope piece for the closure. I did another one as an anniversary card from fabric (which unfortunately I didn’t get a photo of), which worked better for me. With that one I printed the message from the computer – much more legible than my chick scratches. Good use for all the old wooden spools rolling around the studio!