Recently I had the good fortune to travel to Spain with a group of 13 fellow artists on a Plein Air tour of Madrid and Barcelona. Well, most of us were artists, and we did do some painting; but mostly we saw as much as we possibly could! Now that I’ve had two months to begin processing the experience, I’d like to share some of the paintings I’m working on. I’ve included above preliminary sketches: let me know which ones appeal to you.
I took 1,000 or so photos and did several sketches as we visited Madrid, Toledo, Zaragoza, Barcelona, Monsterrat and Cadaques. We saw many excellent museums, cathedrals, and city neighborhoods, ancient and modern. It was a satisfyingly wonderful trip!
My favorite place: the seaside village of Cadaques; my favorite museum: the Thyssen in Madrid; my favorite environment: Retiro park in Madrid. In close competition, respectively: Toledo; Museum at Montserrat; the Montserrat pudding stone needles/mountains.
For those of you planning a trip, here’s what I did:
April 28, Friday, Madrid
– arrive 8am, drop bags at hotel: Mercure Madrid Centro, Calle Lope de Vega, 49 – hotel check in 3pm – Sofia Museum: Picasso, Pity and Terror – Sketch at the Crystal Palace in the Retiro Park (east of Prado) – early evening wine & cheese reception at hotel
April 29, Saturday, Madrid – Prado Museum – Caixaforum – Ramon Casas exhibit April 30, Sunday, Madrid – Plaza Mayor coin/stamp market; street flea market – Palace plaza, Temple Debod – Thyssen Museum – 90 minute hop on, hop off bus, Puerta del Sol May 1, Monday, Madrid – 8am coach to Toledo (1 hour drive): cathedral; TrainVision Tourist Train
– Royal Botanical garden May 2, Tuesday, travel – 9am coach to Barcelona
– 3 hours to Zaragoza, Cathedral-Basilica of Our Lady of the Pillar tower elevator, lunch
– Barcelona hotel: Avenida Palace, Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, 605 May 3, Wednesday, Barcelona – El Born Market – Picasso Museum – El Born Cultural Museum – Gaudi Cascade – Arc de Triomf May 4, Thursday, Barcelona – 8am coach to Montserrat: Monastery, Museum, funicular – Stroll La Rambla, visit art supply store May 5, Friday, Barcelona – Park Güell, picnic/paint, Gaudi museum – 7:30 flamenco dance performance May 6, Saturday, Barcelona
– 8:30am coach to Cadaques – timed entry to the Dali House – flea market via metro May 7, Sunday, Barcelona – Sketch in area of hotel
May 8, Monday, departure