I was going to write up and post a pattern for a lined drawstring bag, and as I was drafting the instructions I remembered this pattern for a simple, unlined drawstring version. That’s a better place to start! So here it is for your practice! The photo at the top shows an unlined bag on the left, and a lined bag on the right. If you have questions, please leave me a comment and I’ll get back to you.
1 ½ yards of ribbon for ties
safety pin for threading ribbon
1. Using pattern, cut and mark two pieces of fabric, 8”x10”
2. Iron down on folds lines, then open back up
3. Place pieces right sides together and stitch ½” seam around three sides, from mark 1” down on long side to corresponding mark on other long side, back stitching to secure.
4. Turn right sides out and press seams and unstitched 1” near top open.
5. Stitch both sides of the unstitched 1” at top of the side seam, pivoting at bottom of opening, thru all thicknesses.
6. Fold over top on pressed fold lines and stitch close to edge of lower fold to form casing.
7. Pin safety pin at middle of ribbon and thread thru both sides of casing. Remove safety pin and cut ribbon. Tie matching ends.