Here’s the pattern for a lined bag! I’d forgotten exactly how I did this, so now I’ve got it written down! If you have questions, leave me a comment and I’ll get back to you.
Step numbers correspond to the photos shown above.
- Cut two pieces of fabric, each 6”x17”, and a third piece 6”x3”. These are the bag, the lining for the bag, and the casing, respectively.
- On the short sides of the casing piece, fold ¼” to the wrong side, and stitch.
- Cut the casing piece in half, lengthwise. This gives you the two casings.
- Fold the casings in half lengthwise, wrong sides together. Press.
- Matching raw edges, place a casing at each of the short ends of the bag fabric. Lay the lining piece on top of the bag and the casings as shown in the photo. Stitch both ends, thru lining, casing, and bag outside.
- Match seams with bag on one side and lining on the other.
- Stitch side seams of bag with a ¼” seam, leaving a 3” gap in one of the seams of the lining. Be careful not to catch the casings in the seams.
- Turn the bag thru the opening in the lining.
- Tuck the lining inside the bag.
- Cut a piece of ribbon long enough for both ties. Slip a safety pin to the middle of the ribbon and thread the ribbon thru both casings. Snip the ribbon at the safety pin and set the pin aside. Pull one of the ribbons to identify the other end that ribbon and then knot them together. Repeat with the second ribbon. Slip one of the knots thru the casing until it’s on the other side of the bag.