I’ve been wanting a quilted jacket, that fits – emphasis on “fits”. I’ve made several in the past and there’s always something off – too short, too long, too tight. I found a jacket pattern I liked and decided on the quilt block: Hidden Wells. This is the same one I used for my first quilt in 1992 – Hidden Wells by Mary Ellen Hopkins. Not finding it in the Suitcase of Curious Patterns, I looked online and came across an excellent tutorial by Alena Diamon. From her description of the original 1989 ‘folder’, I remembered where I’d stored mine! In the Binder of Eventually Useful Ideas!
Using Alena’s shortcuts and Mary Ellen’s tips, I made a test unit of Hidden Wells. It worked. (This is where I got sidetracked on the bag patterns in the two most recent posts, as I also made a lined bag out of the first test unit.) After some tweaks to fabric selections and an evaluation of how many units I need, I bought fabric and started on blocks for the jacket.
Meanwhile, to address ‘fit’, I made a prototype from an old quilt. It worked well despite the bulk and I identified one alteration – cut sleeves shorter. I finished the seams on the inside and the next one might be reversible… Off to finish the Hidden Wells units!